Home > Buildings and Street Scenes > Churches > Congregational Churches
Can your business or organisation help support this site too?

Marple Bridge Congregational Chapel

Congregational Chapel in Marple Bridge on the corner of Hollins Lane and Town Street, built in 1787. From Marple Local History Society Archives.

mlhs_hibbert_lane_cong_church_walk_1932.jpg mlhs_marple_bridge_cong_chapel.jpg 13997.jpg picture04.jpg congchurchMB.jpg
Rate this file (No vote yet)

Comment 1 to 1 of 1
Page: 1

Noel Brindley   [Jan 31, 2011 at 06:39 PM]
Mill Brow/Marple Bridge, Independant/Congregational Chapel, founded 1662. First met in chapel at Mill Brow, until 1787 then at Town Street, Marple Bridge, to 1887 and then Hollins Lane, where the church was re-built in the Gothic style, in 1888. Existing baptism register starts: 5 Dec 1761, John COOK, son of George of Twich hous, Ludworth.
The Independent Chapel, Marple-bridge, was re-opened on Sabbath-day, June 30, 1839 after being closed several weeks, for the purpose of improvement and considerable enlargement. Excellent and appropriate sermons were preached on the occasion. Afternoon and evening, by the Rev T. J. Davies, of Tintwistle, after which the liberal sum of £50 was collected towards the expenses incurred by the required enlargement.

Comment 1 to 1 of 1
Page: 1