Home > Buildings and Street Scenes
Can your business or organisation help support this site too?
Last additions - Buildings and Street Scenes
rhode-houses-shop2.jpg
Rhode Houses ShopThe shop at Rhode Houses in Hawk Green run by Charles and Heather Plevin. Provided by Great Nephew David Myers.Jul 12, 2019
rhode-houses-shop1.jpg
Rhode Houses ShopThe shop at Rhode Houses in Hawk Green run by Charles and Heather Plevin. Provided by Great Nephew David Myers.Jul 12, 2019
2019-06-22_ex_albert_schools6.jpg
Albert Schools site 22 June 2019The Albert Schools are now a pile of bricks on 22 June 2019. Photo by David Burridge.Jun 23, 2019
2019-06-22_ex_albert_schools5.jpg
Albert Schools site 22 June 2019The Albert Schools are now a pile of bricks on 22 June 2019. Photo by David Burridge.Jun 23, 2019
2019-06-22_ex_albert_schools4.jpg
Albert Schools site 22 June 2019The Albert Schools are now a pile of bricks on 22 June 2019. Photo by David Burridge.Jun 23, 2019
2019-06-22_ex_albert_schools3.jpg
Albert Schools site 22 June 2019The Albert Schools are now a pile of bricks on 22 June 2019. Photo by David Burridge.Jun 23, 2019
2019-06-22_ex_albert_schools2.jpg
Albert Schools site 22 June 2019The Albert Schools are now a pile of bricks on 22 June 2019. Photo by David Burridge.Jun 23, 2019
2019-06-22_ex_albert_schools1.jpg
Albert Schools site 22 June 2019The Albert Schools are now a pile of bricks on 22 June 2019. Photo by David Burridge.Jun 23, 2019

Category Albums Files
MarpleThe name of Marple was first mentioned in 1122 but it was the coming of Samuel Oldknow to the district in 1790 that shaped the Marple we know today. Not only did he establish his Mill by the River Goyt, he also sank coalmines, built houses for his workers, made roads, rebuilt the church and was instrumental in the construction of the Peak Forest Canal.
16 1,986
Marple's Changing Face


changing-face-p1.WMV

Marple's Changing Face was produced by the late Gordon Mills in 2003. Gordon was a prolific writer, photographer and local historian who produced several fascinating video interviews with local people, guided local history walks and this, the definitive photo history presentation of "Marple's Changing Face".

5 files, last one added on Apr 07, 2012
Album viewed 900 times

Stockport Road (Northwest)


picture_46.jpg

This album of Stockport Road covers the section from Dan Bank to the junctions of Station Road and Church Lane, where for so many years the Jolly Sailor Pub was a major landmark at the heart of the community.

113 files, last one added on Jul 18, 2015
Album viewed 1816 times

Stockport Road (Southeast)


picture09.jpg

This second album of Stockport Road covers the area beyond the junctions with Station Road and Church Lane up to the Navigation Hotel, another major landmark central to the community that thankfully remains.

87 files, last one added on Dec 23, 2017
Album viewed 5003 times

District Centre


cropped-map.jpg

Marple District Centre was changed radically in the 1970s when Market Street was paved over and Hibbert Lane was extended between Church Lane and Stockport Road. The numbered images in this album were taken by Marple UDC during these changes and the location of each shot was marked on a large plan of the area, which is also included in the album. Additional photos taken by Pete Robinson during the 1970s and provided by Eddie Ashworth, who worked on the improvements, were added in 2015/16.

109 files, last one added on Jan 02, 2016
Album viewed 1184 times

Market Street


picture12.jpg

Market Street is now the thriving centre of Marple shopping, recently regenerated with improvements to the paved area. Most of the pictures in this album show a very different Market Street, before pedestrianisation, but it's clear that it was at the heart of the community then too.

81 files, last one added on Jul 06, 2017
Album viewed 2916 times

Hollins Mill & Estate


hollins-mills.jpg

The Hollins estate was first mentioned in 1712 and when Hollins Mill was built in 1830 the present day centre of Marple developed around it. Nothing is left of the Mill today but Marple Memorial Park remains at the heart of Marple and is a lasting legacy of the mill owners' generosity and the community's losses during the Great War. This album contains images relating to the mill and the estate, including Marple Memorial Park.

89 files, last one added on Jul 17, 2016
Album viewed 761 times

Church Lane


picture_37.jpg

This album covers Church Lane, running from the junction with Stockport Road up, past the Hatters Arms and the junctions with Hibbert Lane and Market Street, on past the Con Club and the Ring o' Bells and all the way to All Saints' Church.

104 files, last one added on Dec 30, 2018
Album viewed 1658 times

Station Road and Brabyns Brow


picture_26.jpg

This album covers Station Road from the junction with Stockport Road up past Memorial Park towards Marple Station, where it turns into Brabyns Brow, and on down the Brow past Brabyns Park and on to Marple Bridge.

88 files, last one added on Dec 25, 2018
Album viewed 1592 times

16 albums on 2 page(s) 1

MellorMellor has long been known to date back to Saxon and Medieval times - the local church of St. Thomas having the oldest-known pulpit in Britain. During the industrial revolution Mellor was a hive of activity led by William Radcliffe. Today it is much quieter but has a thriving parish centre and strong sense of community spirit.
5 405
Mellor


12_Mellor_Hall_1980.jpg

This album takes in the area of Mellor travelling up Longhurst Lane from Marple Bridge, over Cateract Bridge and onwards as far as the Devonshire Arms. It also includes Brook Bottom, Slack Wood, Soldiers' Nob and the Mellor Cross at Cobden Edge.

190 files, last one added on Dec 30, 2018
Album viewed 3852 times

Mellor Church


picture14.jpg

We have just enough photographs of St. Thomas's Church at Mellor to feature its own album and hope to add more to it in the near future.

58 files, last one added on Dec 23, 2017
Album viewed 1485 times

Moorend


picture30.jpg

Hard to believe that peaceful Moorend was once home to the huge Dove Bank Mill seen in drawings here. This collection of Moorend pictures is largely reproduced with the kind permission of Mrs Ashworth of Moorend.

28 files, last one added on Sep 16, 2017
Album viewed 995 times

A Mellor Collection


wedding-14-christine-wilson-geoffrey-duckworth.jpg

The photos in this album were given to MLHS by Hilary Ellam whose parents and grandparents were from Mellor. Hilary's parents were Peter Davis and (Winifred) Shirley Davis (nee Hall). Hilary’s grandparents were Annie Mary Hall (nee Daniels) and Bernard Hall. Bernard Hall ran a butcher’s shop in Mellor with his brother, as well as being a part time postman. The Davis family were tailors from Marple Bridge. Barbara Hall and Shirley were sisters. Hilary reckons that the majority of the photographs were taken in the 1930s when her Aunt Barbara, born in 1925, would have been in the guides.

82 files, last one added on Oct 02, 2018
Album viewed 256 times

1911 Coronation in Mellor


coronation04.jpg

A complete album from Marple Local History Society archives featuring pictures of the Parish of Mellor taken during the celebrations for the Coronation of HM King George V on 22 June 1911.

47 files, last one added on Nov 19, 2018
Album viewed 165 times

 

5 albums on 1 page(s)

Marple BridgeMarple Bridge was already well established in 1795, when it was described as "a small village containing about sixty houses." By this time, it had a corn mill, which formerly stood on the west bank of the Goyt, just to the south of the village, and a water powered forge. The bridge and a reconstructed Town Street are now at the heart of the Marple Bridge Conservation Area.
3 246
Marple Bridge


picture05.jpg

This album features Marple Bridge and the Weir and Corn Mill once known as Flowerdew Mill, as well as many other photographs of the general Marple Bridge area, including Lower Fold, Low Lea Road and Glossop Road.

166 files, last one added on May 01, 2019
Album viewed 2393 times

Town Street


picture24.jpg

This album focuses on Town Street, the main shopping area of Marple Bridge and now central to the Marple Bridge Conservation Area. It includes a series of pictures that chart the dramatic collapse and eventual repair of Town Street after it fell into the river in 1991.

67 files, last one added on Nov 19, 2013
Album viewed 1193 times

Mill Brow


picture157.jpg

This album features the tiny hamlet of Mill Brow, Marple Bridge, which now centres around the local pub the Hare and Hounds.

13 files, last one added on Dec 27, 2018
Album viewed 949 times

 

3 albums on 1 page(s)

Hawk GreenHawk Green is an outlying area of Marple, centred around a traditional village green, or recreation ground. There are earlier buildings but most of the housing built up around the Shepley Mill constructed in 1848 on the side of the Macclesfield Canal. The Goyt Mill, constructed in 1905, remains a major landmark in the area today.
2 93
Hawk Green


picture_11.JPG

This album features Hawk Green, which has a real village feel to it, with the Crown Pub overlooking the Green, it's own Cricket Club and an active residents' association determined to preserve and promote it. Click here to visit Hawk Green RA.

64 files, last one added on Jul 12, 2019
Album viewed 5276 times

The Goyt Mill


picture_15.JPG

This album contains pictures of the Goyt Mill, built in 1905 at Hawk Green. It features the demolition of the huge chimney, a visible landmark for miles around, and the machinery in the mill before it was removed.

29 files, last one added on Mar 05, 2016
Album viewed 1539 times

2 albums on 1 page(s)

StrinesThe Strines area is a beautiful part of the world steeped in history and set in the picturesque Goyt River Valley. There are some very old properties in and around Strines dating back many hundreds of years, however the majority of properties were built after the Printworks was established circa 1790.
1 123
Strines


picture197.jpg

This album covers the Strines area, which has been dominated by the Strines Printworks and its chimneys since the late 18th century. Not for much longer through as they are due for demolition in the near future. Strines has an active residents' association and a very informative web site. Click here to visit SARA.

123 files, last one added on Dec 30, 2018
Album viewed 1814 times

 

1 albums on 1 page(s)

CompstallCompstall was formerly a mill village, built by George Andrew in the 1820's to house his 800 workers. Most of the original mill cottages and other structures remain unchanged. The waterways that now form Etherow Park were also constructed by Andrew to carry water from the weir, on the river, to turn the mill wheel, which stood where the car park is today.
1 111
Compstall


picture04.jpg

This album covers the area of Compstall and also some that are technically Marple Bridge but sit better here in our view. The heart of Compstall has not changed drastically since it was built and today it benefits from the attractions of Etherow Country Park too. Well worth a visit.

111 files, last one added on Dec 30, 2018
Album viewed 1922 times

 

1 albums on 1 page(s)

High LaneIn the 1800s High Lane had large collieries employing the majority of men in the village and with the coming of the Macclesfield Canal in 1831 it formed a key junction with the main road to Buxton. Windlehurst Mill was built on the bank of the canal in 1872 and later came to an unusual end when it was so badly damaged in gales that it had to be demolished.
1 69
High Lane


picture29.jpg

High Lane is on the main Turnpike route to Buxton (A6) and this album features many shots of Buxton Road as well as Windlehurst Lane, Middlewood Road, Carr Brow, Norbury Hollow and St. Thomas's Church.

69 files, last one added on Dec 30, 2018
Album viewed 7494 times

 

1 albums on 1 page(s)

ChurchesA new series of albums featuring the local churches of Marple and District, including All Saints', Marple; St. Thomas', Mellor; St. Martins, Low Marple; St. Mary's, Marple Bridge and others (this catergory is under reconstruction).
6 183
All Saints', Marple.


Image06.jpg

The first recorded service at All Saints’ was in 1588, when the population of Marple stood at 160. A Georgian Chapel was built in 1811 and in 1880 the current Victorian Church was built alongside. In 1964 the derelict Georgian Chapel was demolished but the old church tower was retained to house the bells and is still used today.

85 files, last one added on Dec 30, 2018
Album viewed 1783 times

Saint Martin's, Low Marple


mlhs_st_martins_05.jpg

Saint Martin's Church on Brabyns Brow, Low Marple was built by the Hudson family in 1869/70. The first church on this site was a temporary iron shed built in 1867 and the new church designed by John Dando Sedding was a striking contrast embracing the Arts and Craft Movement started by William Morris.

23 files, last one added on Sep 12, 2015
Album viewed 677 times

Saint Paul's, Compstall


mlhs_st_pauls_compstall_06.jpg

Saint Paul's Church in Compstall was built by the Andrews family between 1839 and 1841 at a cost of £2,000. After the loss in 1905 of its Vicar of 48 years, Rev W.H. Hopkins, the church was extensively renovated and extended.

11 files, last one added on Jul 19, 2010
Album viewed 443 times

Methodist Churches


mlhs_wesleyan_church_sunday_school.jpg

Methodist Churches of Marple and District, present and past. Including Marple Methodist Church on Church Lane, Ridge Methodist Church and Trinity Methodist Church, formerly on Market Street.

38 files, last one added on Jun 06, 2015
Album viewed 929 times

Congregational Churches


mlhs_opening_marple_bridge_cong_school_1906.jpg

This album features the Congregational Churches of Marple Bridge and Marple. The latter, on Hibbert Lane, now being the United Reformed Church.

14 files, last one added on Feb 22, 2015
Album viewed 967 times

Other Churches


mlhs_1st_george_st_chapel_1826-1896.jpg

This album covers other Marple and District Churches that do not currently have enough photos to merit their own album. It includes St. Mary's, Marple Bridge, Holy Spirit, Marple, the Evangelical Church on Queen Street, Kingdom Hall and one or two others. If more pictures become available separate albums will be created.

12 files, last one added on Dec 23, 2017
Album viewed 456 times

6 albums on 1 page(s)


Most viewed - Buildings and Street Scenes
picture244.jpg
Hill Top Farm3417 viewsHill Top Farm, Hawk Green looks little different today.
mlhs_nab_top_sanatorium.jpg
Nab Top Sanatorium3171 viewsNab Top Sanatorium, now Marple Dale Nursing Home. From Marple Local History Society Archives.
picture34.jpg
Buxton Road2976 viewsThe bread delivery van makes its way up Buxton Road, High Lane.
picture05.jpg
Horseshoe Inn2796 viewsThe Horseshoe Inn and Lower Fold, Marple Bridge.
picture05.jpg
The Crown Pub2714 viewsA large group outside the Crown Public House, probably 1914 - 1918.
picture256.jpg
West Towers / Almonds2685 viewsHotel West Towers / Almonds Restaurant makes way for "progress".
barns-fold-cottage1659.jpg
Barnes Fold Cottage2606 viewsBarnes Fold Cottage, built in 1659, from Marple Local History Society Archives.
picture_06.jpg
Bunker's Hill2592 viewsAn early view of Bunker's Hill.

Random files - Buildings and Street Scenes
allsaints2.jpg
All Saints' Old Church ChoirWhat must be the church choir in a formal pose outside All Saints' Old Church.
82362.jpg
Lomber Hey Farm HouseLomber Hey Farm House, provided by Janet Holmes.
mlhs_marple_methodist_group.jpg
Marple Methodist Church GroupA group outside Marple Methodist Church. From Marple Local History Society Archives.
picture253.jpg
Jolly SailorAs with the Bowling Green, the Jolly Sailor was sold to property developers.
air8.jpg
Marple from the AirLate 1950s view of Marple from the air with Church Lane running diagonally across the image from its junction with Stockport Road. Click photo for a larger version.
From Marple Local History Society Archives.
picture11a.jpg
Market StreetMarket Street today. Attractive, but not quite matching up to that classic shot.
CrpAllSaintsMensGroup2.jpg
All Saints' Mens GroupAll Saints' Mens Group gathered in the fields behind All Saints' School. Provided by John Rishworth.
picture_48.jpg
Railway Public HouseThe Railway Public House on Stockport Road.

Who is online?
There are 29 registered users.  The newest registered user is Dave B.  In total there are 50 visitors online: 0 registered users and 50 guests.  Most users ever online: 108 on 06/08/17 at 21:18.  Registered users who have been online in the past 10 minutes: .