Home > Buildings and Street Scenes > Marple
Can your business or organisation help support this site too?
Last additions - Marple
braddocks-garage-stockport-rd-c1940.jpg
Braddock's GarageBraddock's Garage in its original location on Stockport Road c1940. Founder Roy Braddock is standing with hands-on-hips. From Marple Local History Society Archives. See comments for more information.Apr 11, 2021
well-cottage.jpg
Well Cottage 1968Well Cottage was sited on what is now the car park of the Conservative Club on Church Lane. The building behind it is what is now the Marple Cottage Surgery. From Marple Local History Society Archives.Mar 25, 2021
market-street-sepia.jpg
Market Street junction with Stockport RoadA fabulous sepia copy of the junction of Market Street and Stockport Road without the watermarks of the bw version. From Marple Local History Society Archives.Mar 25, 2021
market-street-sepia-r.jpg
Market Street junction with Stockport RoadLeft hand side of a fabulous sepia copy of the junction of Market Street and Stockport Road without the watermarks of the bw version. From Marple Local History Society Archives.Mar 25, 2021
market-street-sepia-l.jpg
Market Street junction with Stockport RoadRight hand side of a fabulous sepia copy of the junction of Market Street and Stockport Road without the watermarks of the bw version. From Marple Local History Society Archives.Mar 25, 2021
hodgkinson-fish-server4.jpg
Hodgkinson Fish ServerThis silver fish-serving set was present to Mrs Elizabeth Hodgkinson (nee Chipman) on her marriage to Henry Hodgkinson on 29 March 1877 by the lady tenants of the Hollins Mill Co. at Poise Mill (also known as Wellington Mill) in Bosden. Provided by Sue Gray via Marple Local History Society Archives.Mar 21, 2021
hodgkinson-fish-server3.jpg
Hodgkinson Fish ServerThis silver fish-serving set was present to Mrs Elizabeth Hodgkinson (nee Chipman) on her marriage to Henry Hodgkinson on 29 March 1877 by the lady tenants of the Hollins Mill Co. at Poise Mill (also known as Wellington Mill) in Bosden. Provided by Sue Gray via Marple Local History Society Archives.Mar 21, 2021
hodgkinson-fish-server2.jpg
Hodgkinson Fish ServerThis silver fish-serving set was present to Mrs Elizabeth Hodgkinson (nee Chipman) on her marriage to Henry Hodgkinson on 29 March 1877 by the lady tenants of the Hollins Mill Co. at Poise Mill (also known as Wellington Mill) in Bosden. Provided by Sue Gray via Marple Local History Society Archives.Mar 21, 2021


Marple's Changing Face


changing-face-p1.WMV

Marple's Changing Face was produced by the late Gordon Mills in 2003. Gordon was a prolific writer, photographer and local historian who produced several fascinating video interviews with local people, guided local history walks and this, the definitive photo history presentation of "Marple's Changing Face".

5 files, last one added on Apr 07, 2012
Album viewed 1059 times

Stockport Road (Northwest)


picture_46.jpg

This album of Stockport Road covers the section from Dan Bank to the junctions of Station Road and Church Lane, where for so many years the Jolly Sailor Pub was a major landmark at the heart of the community.

131 files, last one added on Mar 16, 2021
Album viewed 2097 times

Stockport Road (Southeast)


picture09.jpg

This second album of Stockport Road covers the area beyond the junctions with Station Road and Church Lane up to the Navigation Hotel, another major landmark central to the community that thankfully remains.

95 files, last one added on Feb 08, 2021
Album viewed 5195 times

District Centre


cropped-map.jpg

Marple District Centre was changed radically in the 1970s when Market Street was paved over and Hibbert Lane was extended between Church Lane and Stockport Road. The numbered images in this album were taken by Marple UDC during these changes and the location of each shot was marked on a large plan of the area, which is also included in the album. Additional photos taken by Pete Robinson during the 1970s and provided by Eddie Ashworth, who worked on the improvements, were added in 2015/16.

109 files, last one added on Jan 02, 2016
Album viewed 1460 times

Market Street & Derby Way


picture12.jpg

Market Street is now the thriving centre of Marple shopping, recently regenerated with improvements to the paved area. Most of the pictures in this album show a very different Market Street, before pedestrianisation, but it's clear that it was at the heart of the community then too.

89 files, last one added on Mar 25, 2021
Album viewed 3166 times

Hollins Mill & Estate


hodgkinson-fish-server4.jpg

The Hollins estate was first mentioned in 1712 and when Hollins Mill was built in 1830 the present day centre of Marple developed around it. Nothing is left of the Mill today but Marple Memorial Park remains at the heart of Marple and is a lasting legacy of the mill owners' generosity and the community's losses during the Great War. This album contains images relating to the mill and the estate, including Marple Memorial Park.

106 files, last one added on Mar 21, 2021
Album viewed 970 times

Church Lane


picture_37.jpg

This album covers Church Lane, running from the junction with Stockport Road up, past the Hatters Arms and the junctions with Hibbert Lane and Market Street, on past the Con Club and the Ring o' Bells and all the way to All Saints' Church.

119 files, last one added on Mar 25, 2021
Album viewed 1946 times

Station Road and Brabyns Brow


picture_26.jpg

This album covers Station Road from the junction with Stockport Road up past Memorial Park towards Marple Station, where it turns into Brabyns Brow, and on down the Brow past Brabyns Park and on to Marple Bridge.

92 files, last one added on Feb 08, 2021
Album viewed 1796 times

16 albums on 2 page(s) 1

Most viewed - Marple
mlhs_nab_top_sanatorium.jpg
Nab Top Sanatorium3459 viewsNab Top Sanatorium, now Marple Dale Nursing Home. From Marple Local History Society Archives.
picture256.jpg
West Towers / Almonds3155 viewsHotel West Towers / Almonds Restaurant makes way for "progress".
picture_06.jpg
Bunker's Hill2767 viewsAn early view of Bunker's Hill.
picture_96.jpg
Marple Station North Platform2713 viewsThe north platform in 1969.
woodville-school.jpg
Woodville School 1960s2706 viewsWoodville School, now Cheadle and Marple Sixth Form College Buxton Lane Campus. From Marple Local History Society Archives.
picture_96.jpg
Shopping Area Improvements August 1962-07: Shops on Market Street2637 viewsShops on Market Street looking little different to today. One of a series of photos taken in August 1962 entitled Marple Shopping Area Improvements.
picture_92.jpg
Shopping Area Improvements August 1962-13: Pineapple Inn2623 viewsThe Pineapple Inn on Market Street. One of a series of photos taken in August 1962 entitled Marple Shopping Area Improvements.
beechwoodmanor.jpg
Beechwood Manor2617 viewsBeechwood Manor was home to Edward Ross J.P., Secretary of the M.S.L. from 1850 to 1892. He had a private footpath to Marple Station, descending to the line after crossing the footbridge that can be seen in the background.

Random files - Marple
braddock-090016.jpg
Braddock's Garage c2003/4The garage of H. Braddock and Son Ltd on Oldknow Road in 2003/4. provided by Graham Meakin.
rose-hill-stn-easter-c1954.jpg
Rose Hill Station c1954Rose Hill Station Easter c1954, with Mum (Winnie), a visitor, Dad (Oscar) and me waiting for a train to High Lane to go to Lyme Park - it was very windy! Provided by Ken Lodge.
danBank12211_52.JPG
Dan Bank Road WideningDan Bank in the daytime during the road widening. Taken on 12 February 2011 by Arthur Procter.
recreation_ground1.jpg
Marple Recreation GroundAn interesting postcard showing the Recreation Ground. The swings were labelled for children under six, and separate sets for boys and girls. Provided by Marshall Shaw.
MarpleStation15412071.JPG
Marple Station Improvements 2012-04-15Marple Station improvements - the new bridge section installed early Sunday morning, 15 April 2012. By Arthur Procter.
marple_033.jpg
Trains in Marple c1960-63 (33)Marple Wharf Junction. A diesel! Don't know how this sneaked in!
15a-16_Chapel_House_Farm_after_conversion_April_1983.jpg
Chapel House Farm 1983Chapel House Farm after conversion. From the Marple Civic Society Archives, dated April 1983.
18903.jpg
Bunkers HillBunkers Hill, Hatherlow, provided by Janet Holmes.

Who is online?
There are 30 registered users.  The newest registered user is Andre.  In total there are 45 visitors online: 0 registered users and 45 guests.  Most users ever online: 268 on 11/04/19 at 17:03.  Registered users who have been online in the past 10 minutes: .