Home > People and Events > Marple Children's Orthopaedic Hospital (Treetops)
Can your business or organisation help support this site too?

Most viewed - Marple Children's Orthopaedic Hospital (Treetops)
mlhs_crippled_children_cross_lane_c1907.jpg
1905 Crippled Children's Home on Cross Lane2617 viewsA holiday home for crippled children was started in a cottage on Cross Lane in 1907, which led to the building of the Children's Orthopaedic Hospital in Dale Road. But this postcard is dated 1905 on the back! From Marple Local History Society Archives.
COH.jpg
Children's Orthopaedic Hospital c1947-492036 viewsA ceremony outside the Children's Orthopaedic Hospital some time between 1947 and 1949.
See comment for names. Click the photo for a larger version.
TT-3.jpg
Children's Orthopaedic Hospital 19462013 viewsA live radio broadcast from the Orthopaedic Hospital in 1946 including Wilfred Pickles, Violet Carson, Doris Groves and Hugh Morton. The program was called 'Stuff and Nonsense'.
mlhs_bellevue_visit_1953_rabbits.jpg
Children's Orthopaedic Hospital 19531559 viewsTwo young girls play with a rabbit when Belle Vue Zoo visited Treetops hospital in 1953. From Marple Local History Society Archives.
childrens-orthopaedic-hosp-miss-swinfinn-retirement-1970s.jpg
Children's Orthopaedic Hospital 1970s1463 viewsA retirement presentation at Treetops Hospital for Miss Swinfin, with Matron Hamilton and Admin Matron Howie. Other staff names include: Sisters Brierly, Siddall, Heyes, SEN Bradbury, Aux Winrow, Aux Howard, May Garrett (kitchen) and Mary (sewing lady). Provided by David Myers.
mlhs_new_mills_rt_playground_1985_2.jpg
Treetops Playground 19851189 viewsPart of the playground presented to Treetops in 1985 by New Mills, Marple and District Round Table. From Marple Local History Society Archives.
TT-6.jpg
Children's Orthopaedic Hospital1115 viewsMatron with the Orthopaedic Hospital's portable X-ray machine in old Air Raid Shelter, accessed from outside. Taken in the 1950s. Updated from Marple Local History Society Archives 20 August 2010.
TT-5.jpg
Children's Orthopaedic Hospital1068 viewsDale Ward at the Orthopaedic Hospital, used as a classroom for the pre-registration nurses 16 -18 year olds. Miss Parkinson demonstrates anatomy on 'Jimmy' in the 1950s. Updated from Marple Local History Society Archives 20 August 2010.
picture012.jpg
Orthopedic Hospital1023 viewsMarple Childrens' Orthopedic Hospital, later to become Treetops, and now demolished for housing.
childrens-orthopaedic-hosp-staff.jpg
Children's Orthopaedic Hospital Staff998 viewsStaff at Treetops: front Mrs Dibbs, L to R, Susan Myers (nee Dawson), Staff Nurse Cherry, Elsie (nee Kirkpatrick) and an unknown student. Provided by David Myers.
crippleshome.jpg
1912 Home for Crippled Children957 viewsThe first sod is cut in 1912 by Mrs C. B. Holmes for a Crippled Children's Home on Dale Road. In 1937 this became the Children's Orthopaedic Hospital "Treetops".
TT-17.jpg
Treetops Hospital c2003940 viewsOne of the ward names carved into the brickwork at Treetops. By Coral Dranfield shortly before demolition.
91 files on 8 page(s) 1