Home > People and Events > Marple Children's Orthopaedic Hospital (Treetops)
Can your business or organisation help support this site too?
Last additions - Marple Children's Orthopaedic Hospital (Treetops)
tree-tops.jpg
Exterior of 'Treetops' Hospital A postcard showing "Treetops" soon after it was built. From Marple Local History Society Archives.Dec 19, 2014
susan-harding-3.jpg
Children's Orthopaedic Hospital 1950-52Susan Harding is is the young girl with Matron Parkinson in the grounds of Treetops between 1950-52. The young boy is not known. Provided by Susan Magee (nee Harding) in 2013.Oct 28, 2013
susan-harding-2.jpg
Children's Orthopaedic Hospital 1950-52Susan Harding with an unknown nurse in the grounds of Treetops between 1950-52. Provided by Susan Magee (nee Harding) in 2013.Oct 28, 2013
susan-harding-1.jpg
Children's Orthopaedic Hospital 1950 Susan HardingA photo of Susan Harding at Treetops taken for her grandparents in 1950. Provided by Susan Magee (nee Harding) in 2013.Oct 28, 2013
mcoh1.jpg
Syddall, Jennifer 1961Jennifer Syddall (in red) aged 12 at Treetops in January 1961 when she was a patient. Jenny (now Daniel) was being visited by her best friend Irene and says that she had her hair done the night before.Feb 22, 2013
childrens-orthopaedic-hosp-staff.jpg
Children's Orthopaedic Hospital StaffStaff at Treetops: front Mrs Dibbs, L to R, Susan Myers (nee Dawson), Staff Nurse Cherry, Elsie (nee Kirkpatrick) and an unknown student. Provided by David Myers.Jan 24, 2011
childrens-orthopaedic-hosp-miss-swinfinn-retirement-1970s.jpg
Children's Orthopaedic Hospital 1970sA retirement presentation at Treetops Hospital for Miss Swinfin, with Matron Hamilton and Admin Matron Howie. Other staff names include: Sisters Brierly, Siddall, Heyes, SEN Bradbury, Aux Winrow, Aux Howard, May Garrett (kitchen) and Mary (sewing lady). Provided by David Myers. Jan 24, 2011
mlhs_sandall-edward.jpg
Treetops at Senior Citizens Hall?A photo taken at the same time as another in the Treetops folder. Mr & Mrs Sanderson are seated far left. The man with the chain is Chairman of the Council Cllr. Edward Sandall, behind his wife Gertrude(?). From Marple Local History Society Archives.Nov 28, 2010


Marple Childrens' Orthopaedic Hospital


tree-tops.jpg

Treetops had its own X-ray facilities, plaster room and even an iron lung for polio victims. Many of the children were long term patients, some staying for up to two years. Most of the photos in this album are believed to be taken during a 1930s Christmas. Treetops closed its doors for the last time towards the end of 2001 and homes are now built on the site.

91 files, last one added on Dec 19, 2014
Album viewed 9755 times

 

1 albums on 1 page(s)

Most viewed - Marple Children's Orthopaedic Hospital (Treetops)
mlhs_crippled_children_cross_lane_c1907.jpg
1905 Crippled Children's Home on Cross Lane1801 viewsA holiday home for crippled children was started in a cottage on Cross Lane in 1907, which led to the building of the Children's Orthopaedic Hospital in Dale Road. But this postcard is dated 1905 on the back! From Marple Local History Society Archives.
COH.jpg
Children's Orthopaedic Hospital c1947-491281 viewsA ceremony outside the Children's Orthopaedic Hospital some time between 1947 and 1949.
See comment for names. Click the photo for a larger version.
TT-3.jpg
Children's Orthopaedic Hospital 19461210 viewsA live radio broadcast from the Orthopaedic Hospital in 1946 including Wilfred Pickles, Violet Carson, Doris Groves and Hugh Morton. The program was called 'Stuff and Nonsense'.
childrens-orthopaedic-hosp-miss-swinfinn-retirement-1970s.jpg
Children's Orthopaedic Hospital 1970s1190 viewsA retirement presentation at Treetops Hospital for Miss Swinfin, with Matron Hamilton and Admin Matron Howie. Other staff names include: Sisters Brierly, Siddall, Heyes, SEN Bradbury, Aux Winrow, Aux Howard, May Garrett (kitchen) and Mary (sewing lady). Provided by David Myers.
mlhs_new_mills_rt_playground_1985_2.jpg
Treetops Playground 19851090 viewsPart of the playground presented to Treetops in 1985 by New Mills, Marple and District Round Table. From Marple Local History Society Archives.
TT-6.jpg
Children's Orthopaedic Hospital1026 viewsMatron with the Orthopaedic Hospital's portable X-ray machine in old Air Raid Shelter, accessed from outside. Taken in the 1950s. Updated from Marple Local History Society Archives 20 August 2010.
TT-5.jpg
Children's Orthopaedic Hospital959 viewsDale Ward at the Orthopaedic Hospital, used as a classroom for the pre-registration nurses 16 -18 year olds. Miss Parkinson demonstrates anatomy on 'Jimmy' in the 1950s. Updated from Marple Local History Society Archives 20 August 2010.
picture012.jpg
Orthopedic Hospital954 viewsMarple Childrens' Orthopedic Hospital, later to become Treetops, and now demolished for housing.

Random files - Marple Children's Orthopaedic Hospital (Treetops)
mlhs_matron_nurse_and_patients.jpg
Children's Orthopaedic Hospital 1950-52A poor quality image of Matron Parkinson with a nurse and patients in the grounds of Treetops between 1950-52. The young girl being held by Matron is Susan Harding (now Magee). From Marple Local History Society Archives.
mlhs_nurses_1950_12_faces.jpg
Children's Orthopaedic Hospital StaffStaff at the Children's Orthopaedic Hospital, thought to be in the summer of 1950. See comments for a full list of known names and the periods they worked at the hospital. From Marple Local History Society Archives.
TT-2b.jpg
Children's Orthopaedic HospitalThe Orthopaedic Hospital's Nurses Home at 48, Dale Road, now a private house. Updated from Marple Local History Society Archives 20 August 2010.
mlhs_exercising2.jpg
Children's Orthopaedic HospitalExercises in the grounds of Treetops Hospital in the early 1950s. From Marple Local History Society Archives.
mlhs_bellevue_visit_1953_philip_barker_middle.jpg
Children's Orthopaedic Hospital 1953Chimps from Belle Vue Zoo visited Treetops hospital in 1953. One of the boys in the centre of the picture is Philip Barker. From Marple Local History Society Archives.
TT-16.jpg
Treetops Hospital c2003A side wing at Treetops, part of the girls ward. By Coral Dranfield shortly before demolition.
mlhs_new_mills_rt_playground_1985.jpg
Treetops Playground 1985In 1985 New Mills, Marple and District Round Table presented a new play area to Treetops. Shown here are (l-r) John Morran, Ken Larkam, Gerrard Lenox, Colin Fox and Alan Whitehead. From Marple Local History Society Archives.
mlhs_nursing_competition.jpg
Nursing Competition at TreetopsA nursing competition at Treetops Hospital, date unknown. From Marple Local History Society Archives.

Who is online?
There are 27 registered users.  The newest registered user is Anthony C. Jones.  In total there are 19 visitors online: 0 registered users and 19 guests.  Most users ever online: 108 on 06/08/17 at 22:18.  Registered users who have been online in the past 10 minutes: .